Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Lance Corporal Rhian Evans - B Coy Medic, 2 RIFLES - FOB Inkerman


I am LCpl Rhian Evans and I am the B Coy medic. I am one of five females here at FOB Inkerman and have the task of telling you what life is like here in the FOB from a female’s perspective.

I will start by telling you that it is not that different from a male’s perspective! I eat the same food even though it is the same every lunch time, consisting of noodles, rice, corned beef and a bit of tuna. I wash in the same facilities as the lads do but the females have one shower sectioned off so it is more private. I do most things just like the lads, so really it is not that different but I would like my hair straighteners and to let my hair down and to use some make up occasionally, just to feel like a girl once in a while. I will have to wait for my R&R for that and I really cannot wait!

My daily routine in the FOB is to look after the everyday needs of the soldiers on camp and the Local National ‘walk-ins’ seeking medical aid from primary care and the seriously wounded. Local Nationals come into the FOB virtually everyday with some sort of medical reasons. We had one Local National come in when he had been shot during a land dispute and on another occasion, we had two Local Nationals come in with lacerations all over their backs from a knife fight. The reason for the fight was that one of them had stolen the other’s milk. We have quite a few children come in where they have fallen over and opened their heads and needed stitches to grazes that needed dressing, so in all I think we have a well trusted medical facility for the locals to come in for treatments.

My normal day in the medical centre starts at 0745 when I go and check and feed the people in The Priory (Diarrhoea & Vomiting (D&V) isolation ward) accommodation. The Priory is a HESCO building with a tin roof next to the burns pit where all the soldiers with D&V, or just showing the signs of D&V, go. It is not nice being down there and I have been unfortunate and have been down there myself. It is hot and really boring so if you have not taken a book or your Nintendo DS down there you will be pulling your hair out after a day. The average soldier will spend about 2-3 days down there. You get treated like you have leprosy; no one wants to come near you just in case they catch it, and it’s only the Doctor that can discharge you from there.

When that is done I go back up to the medical centre where I treat the soldiers that have come in on sick parade, but hardly anyone comes in unless they are dying! So my mornings are quite boring.

On most days I go on patrols into the Green Zone or sometimes we do desert patrols, so I sort out my kit to make sure that I have everything in my medical kit sorted and re-supplied, my camelpak is filled and my stretcher is secure onto my day sack and go to orders.

12 comments:

  1. rhian, good blog, nice one! writing about routine must seem quite dull, but to the uninitiated, it's fascinating reading! in particular, the UK's treatment of Afghans often goes unreported, i wonder what proportion of Afg's to ISAF you treat..? stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sitting in the BFBS studio in the Falklands it seems a million miles away. Stay safe and don,t forget to listen to my Chill out room show Sunday & Thursday nights . All the best . Humf . BFBS Falklands

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been to Afghanistan but will go there soon. found this enlightning, good blog, it would be nice to hear how the other soldiers view you being there. do you participate in other Fob routines, communication with locals, home, mail,how do you keep kit clean, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my son is 2 rifles hq platoon up at ink with you guys, thanks for a girls perspective. you take great care of yourself, please give my son a hug from me, he is the one always wanting internet access........lol
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great to read from a ladies perspective. You stay safe out there. Look after yourselves, and each other. My cousin is out there at the moment. We are all very proud of you all. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhian, I can't imagine what it's like out there. My heart goes out to you all in light of what has just been reported on the news here - 10pm. I'm sitting here crying as i type this. It's too many. God speed and may he protect you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was at Inkerman during Herrick 7 with 40 cdo. I'll never forget it as it was one of the most positive experiences I've ever had. Hope it's the same for you. Have a safe tour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rhian, just found this site my son Mike is out there with you and it is really difficult to appreciate what you are experiencing from here.
    I can assure you that your families will be extremely proud of you. Stay safe and tel Mike we will see him on his R&R.

    ReplyDelete
  9. take care of yourself and its a great army that allows its lady soldiers to take their hair straighteners to a combat zone

    Hope you are well and keep clear of the D and v

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rhian, thanks for the info. Our son is out there on base with you, just returning from R&R, and all he really told us about was the food!! (He certainly made up for it when he was home!!) Keep up the good work, keep well and keep safe - you soldiers are always in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rhian, We loved you perspective on what life is out there. Our Son Gunner Gary Hary is there with you all...perhaps not a conselation however we would like to think so...please tell him Hi from all of his family and for you too...take care of yourself Rhian...keep your head down and may God protect you until you come home...
    Love and Best Wishes always Mo & Ian xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. hiya rhian x
    really enjoyed reading your wee blog..
    my sons in 7sigs and was out there xmas 2006...
    thought id pop by and give you all my support x
    take care and come home safe ....and i hope its soon x
    then you can get into they staightners and let your hair down lol

    lots of luv
    julie
    x

    ReplyDelete